Friday, January 11, 2008

Fuck off America, with all your weight obsession issues.

Now that I have that out of my system.. .

Over a year ago I really had no issues with swearing. I used to do it all the time and not even think about what I was saying. Then one man, my uncle Manuel said something indirectly to me, which for him was very subtle since he’s not really known for that. He said “Don’t you worry about what people think of you?” I had been told all my adult life “that girl has a mouth, watch out.” After his statement I stopped. Well that, and about two days later I was over at another uncle’s house with his grandchild and not even two year old Holden said “Shit!”. This coming from a child that didn’t speak much, if any words at all at that time.

It might have been cause of my swearing or his grandpas. Who knows. I pretty much cut back significantly after that. Today, if you talk to my new friends, they don’t know me as someone that would swear, much less say something negative about another person. It's nice to know they think of me that way.

Now I find it more satisfying to eviscerate someone without them knowing it. But back to the weight issues.

This morning, I went to check my flickr account. I saw some pix from one of my close buddies. She brought up some of her health issues and how she’s lost a few pounds. Sometime in August she came over and we both doodled all over me for a photo-shoot. I said something about my weight since essentially I was pretty close to nude, she retorted that she wished she had my curves. I said I wished I was as toned as she was.

Even though we are both considered healthy, as women we struggle with the same thing every other American woman has that inner conflict with: Body Image. No matter how great we look, it’s never good enough. She wants a little more weight, I want a little less. All of this because Britney Spears is Fat. . . All this because the glossy magazines plaster their covers with models that don’t even tip the scales at 90lbs. Never mind that they are over 5’10”. Nevermind that they claim to be putting real women on the covers… but not the super glossy ones. Yea it’s a step. But it’s not big enough. I know at in 10 years times will change and hopefully todays generation of little women may not have the issues we have today. Only time will tell.

I felt so sad reading her words because I feel that pain myself when I see my scale numbers rise. She’s gotta feel the same when her numbers go down.

On my way to work today, it seems that Eminem is back in the news again. We havn’t heard from him in a while. Speaking of people that swear too much. He also happens to be one of my heros, my inspiration, my role-model. What have you. I love his way with words, I love how he projects his anger and some of the more creative ways I tend to articulate come from him. So I was thinking that maybe he has some new music coming out.

Wrong.

No, they were bashing him for tipping the 200lb mark on the scales. They’re parodying his music Weird-Al style. Talk about me instantly seeing red. Here’s a man that about 8 years ago had some of the hottest abs out there, not to mention some incredible biceps and shoulders. Geez people he was in his mid twenties AND he was a struggling artist, of course he’s gonna be hot and fit.

I cant’ believe that after earning multiple Grammies, launching multiple new talented artists, these DeeJays focused on his WEIGHT!!!! What I find ironic is that DeeJay’s also are not known for their healthy lifestyles. Pot / Kettle anyone?

Get off his case America. Leave him, leave Britney, leave them all alone. Weight does not make a person talented.

1 comments:

Turbo Spaz said...

You're fucking awesome iplaruf!!! I'm not afraid of doing it either, I just reserve it for special occasions! Congrats on your choice of a healthier lifestyle. I got your back grrrl!! Just take it one day and one step at a time and don't let let anyone but you dictate how you get there. It's all about the journey, right?!